Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Electronic Contact!!!

The person I was in contact with for this project was Mrs. Cami Argyle. I met Mrs. Argyle while I was trying to find teachers who had classroom blogs. I was really impressed by Mrs. Argyle's blog so I contacted her via e-mail. The topics were mainly how she incorporated technology into her classroom. She teaches kindergarten at Freedom Elementary in Hooper, UT. She is happily married and has two boys of her own.

When I first started mentioning technology I sent her an e-mail full of questions. A few examples of the questions where: 1.Do you believe its okay for teachers to be technologically illiterate? 2. Is it important for teachers to incorporate computers into daily learning for their students? 3. Do you believe teachers are preparing children for the future? Technology is advancing so fast. Some day everything maybe
ran by computers. 4. Do you believe are students are prepared?. This is how she replied, "Our district started offering a technology conference last year. It is offered once a year during the summer. I use the 2 computers in my room as a center rotation. Children can visit the computers during center time and play various games, etc. associated with what we have been learning in class (letter and sound games, math activities, etc). They are basically used as an extension of what we have already learned and practiced in class. I do not use our computer labs as often as I would like too. In the past I have used a visit to the computer lab as an incentive or award. I try to bring in real life experiences as often as possible into my classroom to help prepare my students for the future."
I also asked Mrs. Argyle for suggestions on websites for teachers. When doing so I asked if Youtube or facebook could be used as educational tools. Her reply was, "I have heard of facebook and myspace, but I am not real familiar with them. As far as YouTube, we actually have something similar in our district called WeberTube. I like this better because I am comfortable with the materials and know that they are appropriate for children otherwise they would not be available to us. When I was in college I used websites more than I do currently as far as helping me get ideas and lesson plans."
I believe that completing this assignment has made me think more of how I can incorporate technology more into my classroom. I hope that I succeed in this effort and maybe when I begin teaching I will be just as good as Mrs. Argyle. You can check out her blog at: Cami's Class Blog

No comments: