Sunday, October 26, 2008

What is a planet? & Booming Sands

Picture of the nine planets
The first podcast that I viewed was, "What is a planet?". I first saw this podcast listed in the k-5 listings. It told interesting facts about how researchers believe there maybe ten to twelve planets instead of just nine. It also revealed a definition of what a planet is. According to the podcast,"A planet is a body that orbits a star, has enough mass to create it's own gravity, has a round shape, and has cleared its neighborhood. This is contradictory however because Neptune shares paths with Pluto. Neptune is considered a planet but Pluto is considered a dwarf planet because it shares paths with Neptune. There are always questions that's why we're glad scientific findings are steadily evolving.
Picture of Death Valley
The second podcast that I watched was called "Booming Sands". This podcast was talking about how the sands friction is causing a booming sound. The podcast itself was mainly talking about how Melany Hunt and some other researchers were running experiments on Death Valley in California. They're experiments were focused on finding out why the sand has the ability to provoke acoustic energy when disturbed. This tension is causing the booming sound that is heard from Death Valley and thirty other large sand domes.

I really enjoyed a few of the podcast. I did find that most of the podcast listed where somehow related to science and some type of experiment. I'm sure there are more subjects that podcast could be used in. I believe we could record history lessons or important facts for a specific time during history. This would be beneficial to both teacher and students. Also I believe we could use podcast almost something like a phonics test. We could have different games for the students.

I found a few of the podcast listed under the three grade listings to repeat themselves. I also found that a few were basically just like observation. They involved very little words and not much meaning. The two I am mainly referring to Observe Clouds and Solar Eclipse.

No comments: